There is no losing in Jiu-Jitsu. You either win or learn.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu defined
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a martial art and combat sport that teaches a smaller person how to defend himself or herself against a larger adversary by using leverage and proper technique. The Gracie family, the founders of BJJ, modified judo and traditional Japanese jujitsu to create the art.
At SBG, we focus on building the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu lifestyle through authentic community. By building each other up, we support everyone's martial arts journey, "newbies" and "vets" alike. “Raising tide lifts all boats” is a concept that we follow at SBG Edmonton.
Learn more about the SBG philosophy.
- Great source of cardiovascular exercise, promoting good overall health.
- Great core workout which helps a person with overall stability and balance.
- Learn to be calm under pressure, which can help a person learn to relax during normal hectic problems of their daily encounters.
- Teaches self-defence techniques.
- Builds self-confidence.
- Family-oriented and a great way to make friends.
- Teaches intricate techniques which helps promote problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Jiu-Jitsu is for everybody regardless of age or gender.
Our Foundations program is where all new comers start their SBG journey, whether they're beginners or have years of training under their belt. In this class, we work on fundamentals - the postures and positions that allow our students to train safely. To us, fundamental doesn't mean most basic; fundamentals are essentials. Our Foundations program is the artful introduction to the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu lifestyle and where the beginnings of great relationships are born.
Frame works is where we focus on the why of Jiu-Jitsu fundamentals. Understanding the why facilitates the how. We take fundamental Jiu-Jitsu concepts to a higher level by exploring the importance of principles like “position before the submission." This class is also where live sparring is introduced and the importance of “aliveness” is driven home.